Our Competitive Program is a program designed for the intermediate to experienced paddler looking for coached training and experience. This program’s goal is to develop paddlers to a high level of paddling and racing competency. Paddlers are coached by a Head Coach who designs their training program based on the club’s goal races.
Men, women and mixed crews are built through a committed practice schedule and through crew selection activities. Those activities may include:
- Time Trials
- Fitness Tests
- Seat Trials
- Stern Trials
- Seat Suitability as defined by the Head Coach.
- Attendance, attitude and blending are also main components of the crew selection process.
OC6 Activity Level: 3 / week
- Tuesdays 5:30 pm (1.5- 2 hrs)
- Thursdays 5:30 pm (1.5 – 2 hrs)
- Saturdays 8:30am (2-3+ hrs)
OC1 Activity Level: 2 / week (unscheduled)
- OC1 training is part of the training program and it is the paddler’s responsibility to add these workouts to their personal training.
- Mobility exercises make up part of the delivered training program. Athletes are expected to complete these exercises on their own time.
- Although weight training is an important strength building tool, it does not make up part of the delivered training program.
ORPC crews and individual paddlers have participated in races all over the world. From Canada, to the USA to Australia and Tahiti. The opportunities to race in outrigger canoes are plentiful and open to any of our competitive paddlers. As a team, the ORPC Competitive Program meets every year to decide what the goal races will be.
ORPC crews and individual paddlers have attended the following International races including but not limited to:
- Queen Lili’uolakalani in Kailua, Kona, Hawaii, USA
- Hamilton Island Change Race, Hamilton Island, Great Barrier Reef Australia
- Another Dam Race, Arizona, USA
- Liberty Challenge, New York, USA
- The Gorge, Stevenson, Washington
- Pacific North West Outrigger Challenge, Seattle, Washington, USA
- Na Pali Challenge, Kaua’i, Hawaii, USA
- Catalina Crossing, Newport Beach/Catalina, California, USA